Skip to menu

Sermon

Sarah: Mother of many nations

Admin 2016.04.04 19:22 Views : 779 Recommend:24

Sarah: Mother of many nations

“It was by faith that even Sarah was able to have a child, though she was barren and was too old. She believed that God would keep his promise. And so a whole nation came from this one man who was as good as dead—a nation with so many people that, like the stars in the sky and the sand on the seashore, there is no way to count them.” Hebrews‬ ‭11:11-12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“The son of the slave wife was born in a human attempt to bring about the fulfillment of God’s promise. But the son of the freeborn wife was born as God’s own fulfillment of his promise.” Galatians‬ ‭4:23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

We are descendants of promise
•“And you, dear brothers and sisters, are children of the promise, just like Isaac.” Galatians‬ ‭4:28‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•“So, dear brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman; we are children of the free woman.” Galatians‬ ‭4:31‬ ‭NLT‬‬

There was initially a barrier in Sarah's faith
•She wondered the possibility of bearing a child after her child-bearing years - “Then God said to Abraham, “Regarding Sarai, your wife—her name will no longer be Sarai. From now on her name will be Sarah. And I will bless her and give you a son from her! Yes, I will bless her richly, and she will become the mother of many nations. Kings of nations will be among her descendants.”” Genesis‬ ‭17:15-16‬ ‭NLT‬
•Abraham was laughing in disbelief regarding God's promise and in turn, asked God to bless Ishmael - “So Abraham said to God, “May Ishmael live under your special blessing!”” Genesis‬ ‭17:18‬ ‭NLT
•“So she laughed silently to herself and said, “How could a worn-out woman like me enjoy such pleasure, especially when my master—my husband—is also so old?”” Genesis‬ ‭18:12‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•the laughter was because of disbelief in something that seems physically impossible - little did they know it was to assure God makes it clear that it is Him that made this possible

How did Sarah overcome any doubt and disbelief?
• They committed fully to God - ““For Abraham will certainly become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed through him. I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and their families to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just. Then I will do for Abraham all that I have promised.”” Genesis‬ ‭18:18-19‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•the Bible demonstrates that through the doubts and struggles, faith prevails and God delivers

Know God is almighty and faithful
•He demonstrated through Sarah that even what might seem impossible is all possible through almighty God
•Sarah knew that it is only by God's will that this would be possible for a child to be born through her and submitted

What is the target and basis of Sarah's faith?
•She had clarity that it is only by God and His promise
•She conceived Isaac by that faith in God
•This is a message of faith in God's promise, no matter what that is… Focal point is not about having a child or not
•she heard God's word and believed

It is important that we have faith and learn the Word
•“Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.” Hebrews‬ ‭11:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•what you ask for should be in faith, by the Word, according to His will… Not for our selfish motives
•“God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful.” 1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭NLT‬‬

We must demonstrate assurance of faith
•Admit that you know what God is promising, hear Him - ““I know the LORD has given you this land,” she told them. “We are all afraid of you. Everyone in the land is living in terror.” Joshua‬ ‭2:9‬ ‭NLT‬
• we must trust God - “That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.” 2 Timothy‬ ‭1:12‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•“I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.” 1 John‬ ‭5:13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

He rewards those who confess our faith in God
•Isaac was a reward for Sarah's faith in God
•God made the impossible possible
•“And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.” Hebrews‬ ‭11:6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Sarah became the mother of many nations and through her genealogy was also the lineage of Jesus Christ
•Like God promised and delivered with Sarah, He commanded us to be faithful and and go make disciples - “Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”” Matthew‬ ‭28:19-20‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•We must live to serve God, which is to love God and to love one another

Have faith, seek God's will, trust that He promises and is faithful, be ready to trust God and that He will guide us, no matter how long it takes and how impossible it seems. God is seeking you, the individual, and looking to work through you, and to build you up.

64° Sunny
TCCK, San Gabriel, CA, United States
No. Subject Author Date Views
487 The Miracles created by giving thanks 감사로 인한 기적 file admin 2019.03.31 670
486 새언약 New covenant file Admin 2014.06.14 670
485 그리스도의 몸을 세워가는 것. 建立基督的身体。Building up the Body of Christ Admin 2014.03.29 669
484 B. 은사의 다양성(礼品的多样性, Variety of gifts)(엡4:7-12) file Admin 2014.03.15 666
483 Spiritual warfare of a Christians Admin 2014.10.08 664
482 하나님이 보여주시는 사랑(눅10:25-37) Admin 2014.04.13 664
481 그리스도인의 영적투쟁(로마서 8:1-9) Admin 2014.07.20 662
480 참된 평강,真正的和平, True peace file Admin 2014.04.27 660
479 부활에 대하여 Resurrection file Admin 2014.04.19 659
478 세고 세어 달아보시는 하나님 God counts and measures admin 2020.06.26 658
477 은혜에 감사하라Give thanks for grace file Admin 2014.05.03 658
476 Be careful when you become rich Admin 2016.11.06 657
475 너희안에 이 마음을 품으라 Admin 2016.04.10 656
474 그리스도인의 새 생활 – New Life of a Christian Admin 2014.12.14 656
473 자랑할 것이 없는 사람 file admin 2018.10.29 655
472 위엣것을 찾으라 file admin 2018.01.08 655
471 어떻게 믿을 것인가? Admin 2015.07.19 655
470 믿지 않는 자와 믿지 못하는자 Those that can’t believe and those that don’t believe admin 2020.08.28 653
469 당신은 주님을 위해 수고할 준비가 되어 있나요 Admin 2015.09.20 653
468 복 받을 사람이 누구인가? file Admin 2014.05.18 653
Up