"The Christian Struggle"
Romans 8:1-9 (NIV)
8 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you[a] free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh,[b] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.
I. The law of the spirit of life
A. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus
B. As we remain with Christ Jesus, he becomes our new residence
C. In Christ Jesus, the Spirit of life is the rule of law
II. We have been freed from the law of sin and death
A. This is only possible through the Son of God, Christ Jesus
B. The attainment of righteousness is not possible through the Law
1. When the Israelites received the law, they were ecstatic because it clearly showed what was right and wrong
2. However, there was a slight problem...the Israelites realized they could not keep all of the Law
a) The flesh is weak and easily tempted
b) They did not have the strength or willpower to not break the law
c) Once they committed a sin, there was no way to "undo" the sin
C. God had a solution to restore righteousness of His people
1. He sent his one and only Son in the image of man to die on the cross for our sins
2. He did this NOT because the Law was imperfect but because mankind was too weak and easily tempted to break the law
D. The Holy Spirit was given to us to further guide us in this restoration of righteousness
1. We must listen and follow the guidance of the Spirit
2. We must do as Paul instructed the church in Galatia (5:16, 5:25): Walk by the Spirit. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit
3. To live by the Spirit means to live our lives with faith in our Lord Jesus Christ
4. We can rest assured that we are following and living in the right way as long as we keep our belief in the fact that Jesus Christ is the way to salvation
III. Simply put, there are two types of people
A. Those who live according to the flesh
1. These are people who have their sights and hopes on the things of this world
2. Those who live like this only face death
B. Those who live according to the Spirit
1. These are those of Christ, Christians
2. Those who live according to the Spirit are constantly thinking of God's will and how we can become more sanctified; more Christ like
3. Those who live like this are rewarded with life eternal and peace
Think about the struggle you are going through in your life right now. Think about why you are going through the struggle; is it because of money, power, fame and the things of this world OR are you suffering in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God? IF you truly believe that you have been freed by the sacrifice of Christ Jesus, then act like a person that is free, who is confident and has conviction of the fact that we are no longer slaves to sin or condemnation. Have faith that the Holy Spirit is guiding your life right now so that you can persevere and overcome all your struggles and the Holy Spirit will lift you up until you reach that final destination in the Kingdom of God, where He is waiting for you with open arms to provide you with eternal life and peace.