(through God's commandments)
Deuteronomy 5:7-21 (NIV)
7 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.
8 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
11 “You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORDwill not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.
12 “Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty handand an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.
16 “Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
17 “You shall not murder.
18 “You shall not commit adultery.
19 “You shall not steal.
20 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
21 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor’s house or land, his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
Through Moses, God gave the Israelites the Ten commandments as well as all his commands. These laws and commandments were given not only to them but to all of his people on this earth.
All the commands are equally important because they are all from God. Therefore, in our spiritual relationship with God as well as our relationship with our parents and neighbors must be based on this important foundation.
1. Check your relationship with God
“9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.(Deut 5:9,10)
This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, (1John 5:3))
1) The relationship between God and Israel was expressed as "the relationship between God and His people"
“因为你归耶和华你神为圣洁的民。耶和华你神从地上的万民中拣选你，特作自己的子民。For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. (Deut 7:6)
2) God is the potter and we are the clay.
Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. (Isaiah 64:8)
3) God is our Father and we are his children.
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--这等人不是从血气生的，不是从情欲生的，也不是从人意生的，乃是从神生的。
children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. (John1:12,13)
4) (창1:26; 2:7; 5:2; 신4:32; 요33:4; 시8:5; 100:3 사51:13; 말2:10; 행17:24-28)
God is the creator and we have received his designation.
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."(Genesis1:26)
the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.”(Genesis2:7)
Ask now about the former days, long before your time, from the day God created man on the earth; ask from one end of the heavens to the other. Has anything so great as this ever happened, or has anything like it ever been heard of?”(Deut 4:32)
'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' (Acts17:28)
1. Check your relationship with your parents
1) As it says in verse 16, honor your Father and your mother. This leads to God's blessings.
So that "it may go well with you in the land" and so that "you may live long".
2) Those who do not keep these commands will be punished.
Exodus 21:15-17; 20:20; 30:17; 20:20; 30:17)
2. Check your relationship with your neighbors
1) The love between God and us is a vertical love
2) he love between us is a horizontal love
1. We can surmise that the commandments given to the Israelites through Moses by God encompasses all the commands in the bible.
2. We can simplify the ten commandments into two commands. The first, love for God. The rest is love between neighbors. Among these, the love towards parents is the greatest of those amongst us.
3. These three relationships (with God, with parents, with neighbors) must be checked and verified in our lives daily. If we discover we are faltering or failing in one, we must quickly fix/repair that relationship of love and we will realize that by paying close attention and nurturing these relationships, we will gain peace and the solace of God and in the process we will glorify Him.