Skip to menu

Sermon

Sarah: Mother of many nations

Admin 2016.04.04 19:22 Views : 778 Recommend:24

Sarah: Mother of many nations

“It was by faith that even Sarah was able to have a child, though she was barren and was too old. She believed that God would keep his promise. And so a whole nation came from this one man who was as good as dead—a nation with so many people that, like the stars in the sky and the sand on the seashore, there is no way to count them.” Hebrews‬ ‭11:11-12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“The son of the slave wife was born in a human attempt to bring about the fulfillment of God’s promise. But the son of the freeborn wife was born as God’s own fulfillment of his promise.” Galatians‬ ‭4:23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

We are descendants of promise
•“And you, dear brothers and sisters, are children of the promise, just like Isaac.” Galatians‬ ‭4:28‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•“So, dear brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman; we are children of the free woman.” Galatians‬ ‭4:31‬ ‭NLT‬‬

There was initially a barrier in Sarah's faith
•She wondered the possibility of bearing a child after her child-bearing years - “Then God said to Abraham, “Regarding Sarai, your wife—her name will no longer be Sarai. From now on her name will be Sarah. And I will bless her and give you a son from her! Yes, I will bless her richly, and she will become the mother of many nations. Kings of nations will be among her descendants.”” Genesis‬ ‭17:15-16‬ ‭NLT‬
•Abraham was laughing in disbelief regarding God's promise and in turn, asked God to bless Ishmael - “So Abraham said to God, “May Ishmael live under your special blessing!”” Genesis‬ ‭17:18‬ ‭NLT
•“So she laughed silently to herself and said, “How could a worn-out woman like me enjoy such pleasure, especially when my master—my husband—is also so old?”” Genesis‬ ‭18:12‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•the laughter was because of disbelief in something that seems physically impossible - little did they know it was to assure God makes it clear that it is Him that made this possible

How did Sarah overcome any doubt and disbelief?
• They committed fully to God - ““For Abraham will certainly become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed through him. I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and their families to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just. Then I will do for Abraham all that I have promised.”” Genesis‬ ‭18:18-19‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•the Bible demonstrates that through the doubts and struggles, faith prevails and God delivers

Know God is almighty and faithful
•He demonstrated through Sarah that even what might seem impossible is all possible through almighty God
•Sarah knew that it is only by God's will that this would be possible for a child to be born through her and submitted

What is the target and basis of Sarah's faith?
•She had clarity that it is only by God and His promise
•She conceived Isaac by that faith in God
•This is a message of faith in God's promise, no matter what that is… Focal point is not about having a child or not
•she heard God's word and believed

It is important that we have faith and learn the Word
•“Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.” Hebrews‬ ‭11:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•what you ask for should be in faith, by the Word, according to His will… Not for our selfish motives
•“God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful.” 1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭NLT‬‬

We must demonstrate assurance of faith
•Admit that you know what God is promising, hear Him - ““I know the LORD has given you this land,” she told them. “We are all afraid of you. Everyone in the land is living in terror.” Joshua‬ ‭2:9‬ ‭NLT‬
• we must trust God - “That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.” 2 Timothy‬ ‭1:12‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•“I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.” 1 John‬ ‭5:13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

He rewards those who confess our faith in God
•Isaac was a reward for Sarah's faith in God
•God made the impossible possible
•“And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.” Hebrews‬ ‭11:6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Sarah became the mother of many nations and through her genealogy was also the lineage of Jesus Christ
•Like God promised and delivered with Sarah, He commanded us to be faithful and and go make disciples - “Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”” Matthew‬ ‭28:19-20‬ ‭NLT‬‬
•We must live to serve God, which is to love God and to love one another

Have faith, seek God's will, trust that He promises and is faithful, be ready to trust God and that He will guide us, no matter how long it takes and how impossible it seems. God is seeking you, the individual, and looking to work through you, and to build you up.

64° Sunny
TCCK, San Gabriel, CA, United States
No. Subject Author Date Views
487 함께 가는 행복 The joy of traveling together admin 2020.11.27 684
486 세상을 이길수 있는 사람이 됩시다. Strive to become a person that overcomes the world file admin 2020.11.21 446
485 올해는 어떤 감사를 해야 하나요? What are you thankful for this year? file admin 2020.11.14 425
484 성화의 생활을 합시다 Let’s live a sanctified life file admin 2020.11.07 470
483 성도가 해야 할 신앙고백은? What must we be witness to? file admin 2020.10.30 401
482 각자의 성격과 은사에 따라 쓰시는 하나님 God will use you according to your unique personality and talents admin 2020.10.23 693
481 복음에 합당한 삶이란? What does a life focused on the gospel look like? file admin 2020.10.18 390
480 복음에 합당한 삶이란? What does a life focused on the gospel look like? file admin 2020.10.17 404
479 하나님의 은혜로 예수님을 우리에게 보내주신 이유 The reason Jesus was sent to us by the grace of God file admin 2020.10.10 392
478 왜 확신 있는 믿음이 필요한가? Why must you have conviction in your faith? file admin 2020.10.03 459
477 삶의 목적을 회복하는 찬양의 축복 Praise blesses you with finding your purpose in life. admin 2020.09.26 640
476 우리 모두 하나님 나라에 들어갑시다 Let us go together to Heaven file admin 2020.09.18 399
475 하나님께서 하신다 God can do it file admin 2020.09.11 409
474 왜 우리가 영적으로 성장하여야 할까? Why do we need to grow and mature spiritually? file admin 2020.09.05 449
473 왜 우리가 영적으로 성장하여야 할까? Why do we need to grow and mature spiritually? admin 2020.09.05 394
472 믿지 않는 자와 믿지 못하는자 Those that can’t believe and those that don’t believe admin 2020.08.28 652
471 적극적인 신앙생활을 합시다 Live an active spiritual life file admin 2020.08.21 397
470 불평과 불만이 왜 나타날까? Why do we complain? file admin 2020.08.14 459
469 하나님이 기뻐하시는 예배를 드리세요 Worship in a way that pleases God file admin 2020.08.07 433
468 하나님이 우리를 선택하셨습니다. God chose us file admin 2020.08.01 440
Up