Skip to menu

Sermon

Diligently follow in the footsteps of Christ

Galatians 4:12-20 New International Version (NIV) / 갈라디아서 4:12-20

12 I plead with you, brothers and sisters, become like me, for I became like you. You did me no wrong. 13 As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you, 14 and even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. 15 Where, then, is your blessing of me now? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

17 Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may have zeal for them. 18 It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always, not just when I am with you. 19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, 20 how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you!

Jesus said that his disciples were like little children. Words spoken and thoughts like children. Rather than the maturity level, he is utilizing these descriptions to encourage embracing and understanding of one another. To a parent, a child is their dream and hope. From the moment of conception, to birth, parents will spare no effort for their children and will accept the sacrifices with joy and as a gratifying experience.

Matthew 11:25 New International Version (NIV)

25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

1 Corinthians 13:11 New International Version (NIV)

11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

Galatians 4:15 (NIV)15 Where, then, is your blessing of me now? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me.

However, man has the characteristic that causes him/her to stumble and fall down when faced with a trial or tribulation. It is at these moments that God, as our father and parent, will continue to encourage us to mature and grow in the image of Christ. All of God’s children go through this many times over.

1. Jesus Christ is our mentor (Romans 3:10-12)

The Bible says that the human nature destroyed by sin can be renewed in Christ.

10 As it is written:

• There is no one righteous, not even one;11 there is no one who understands;

there is no one who seeks God.12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10-12)

1. Jesus was present in the beginning (John 1:1-4)

In the beginning Jesus was with us when God created heaven and earth.

John 1:1-4 (NIV)

The Word Became Flesh

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

Luke 2:52(NIV)

52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.

1. Model of sanctification (John 13:15; Matthew 11:29)

All of God's children are people who strive to resemble Jesus.

John 13:15 (NIV)15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

Matthew 11:29 (NIV) 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Philippians 2:5 (NIV) 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 4:13 (NIV)

13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

1. It is a spiritual union with Christ (John 15:4)

The Saints are forming a spiritual union with Jesus Christ

John 15:4(NIV)

4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

2 Corinthians 11:2 (NIV)

2 I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him.

1. To achieve the image of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthian 4:15)

It is to be like Christ.

1 Corinthians 4:15 (NIV)15 Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

John 16:21 (NIV)21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.

1. Attain spiritual nourishment (Hebrew 13:9)

In order to form the image of Christ in your heart, you must provide adequate nourishment there.

Hebrews 13:9 (NIV)

9 Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.

1 Peter 2:2(NIV)2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,

Galatians 4:15 (NIV)15 Where, then, is your blessing of me now? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me.

Galatians 3:1-3 (NIV)

3 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?

Psalm 1:1-2 (NIV)

Psalm 11 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, 2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.

1. Follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:22-24)

It is only through the help of the Holy Spirit that we are changed.

Ephesians 4:22-24 (NIV)

22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Romans 7:21-23 (NIV)

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

Romans 8:7-9 (NIV)

7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

Romans 8:14 (NIV)

14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Romans 8:26 (NIV)

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

1. Proactive training (Romans 6:6-7)

To be disciples of Christ

• Learner (Matthew 11:29)
  • Follower (Matthew 4:19)
  • A committed man (2 Timothy 2:4)
  • A disciplined man (1 Corinthians 9:27

Hebrews 6:4-6 (NIV)

4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[a] away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

• Spiritual training in the family (Proverb 22:6)

Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)6 Start children off on the way they should go,and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

Ephesians 6:4(NIV)4 Fathers,[a] do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

• Sound position and role of Church

We have to become a good worshiper in the church (1 Corinthians 12:12-31)

• Laying down a positive and bright foundation in society

Matthew 18:6 New International Version (NIV)

Causing to Stumble

6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Application

1. My loving brothers and sisters! What efforts are you putting forth to be like Jesus Christ? Do you believe that just praying for one another is enough?

1. We need to remember that until that day when Christ’s image is fulfilled in each and every one of us, our Lord will spare no effort.

1. Shouldn’t we also be able to spare no effort in helping those that may be going through spiritual trials and tribulations?
  • Work diligently to spread the seeds
  • Continue in your shepherding ministry

No. Subject Author Date Views
664 겸손함으로 이루는 하나님의 영광 Glorify God through humility. file admin 2024.03.23 417
663 우리와 함께 하시는 하나님(임마누엘) Immanuel (God is with us) file admin 2024.03.17 28
662 예수 그리스도를 내 삶의 중심에 모십시다. Let’s welcome Jesus Christ as the center of our lives. file admin 2024.03.09 49
661 일어나라 빛을 발하라 Arise and Shine file admin 2024.03.02 75
660 그리스도인의 신앙과 봉사 The work and walk of a Christian. file admin 2024.02.24 103
659 지켜야 할 하나님의 법도 God’s laws you must keep. file admin 2024.02.17 135
658 하나님 나라를 향해 가는 성도 Press on toward the goal, the prize in heaven. file admin 2024.02.09 128
657 하나님의 대사로서 복음을 선포하라 Proclaim the gospel as we are Christ’s Ambassadors. file admin 2024.02.03 150
656 믿음의 전진을 위한 담대한 믿음 Unwavering faithfulness to advance our faith. file admin 2024.01.25 193
655 많은 증인 앞에서 선한 증거를 증거하라 Make your confession in the presence of many witnesses. file admin 2024.01.20 164
654 영생을 취하라 Take hold of eternal life file admin 2024.01.13 188
653 믿음의 선한 싸움을 싸우라 Fight the good fight of faith. file admin 2024.01.06 1304
652 선행과 구제하는 일이 심히 많더니 Doing good and helping the poor file admin 2023.12.31 234
651 성탄절을 맞이하는 우리의 자세 How should we greet Christmas? file admin 2023.12.23 214
650 주님재림에 대한 기다림과 소망 The wait and hope for our Lord’s return file admin 2023.12.17 189
649 한결같은 믿음을 유지 할 수 있는 비결 The secret to maintaining an unwavering faith file admin 2023.12.08 217
648 믿음의 역사를 체험하자 Let’s experience the manifestation of faith file admin 2023.12.02 182
647 약할 그때에 곧 강함이라 For when I am weak, then I am strong. file admin 2023.11.23 296
646 감사로 승리하는 삶을 삽시다 Let’s be victorious through gratitude. file admin 2023.11.17 172
645 복음을 감사하자 Thank the Gospel file admin 2023.11.09 136
Up