Skip to menu

Sermon

What does the bible show us?(071016)

Admin 2016.08.09 22:05 Views : 18543 Recommend:49

What does the bible show us?
1 Corinthians 고린도전서 10:11
11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come.12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!13 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
2 Timothy 디모데후서 3:15-17
15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a]may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

A mirror reflects an image, as is, without adulteration so that we can correct and touch on the flaws that we see. This is why when we face situations or meetings in which we find corrections, we express it as "looking at ourselves in the mirror". However, this does not mean looking in the mirror is always a good thing. It is only when we are able to reflect upon our past mistakes and learn from them that this "looking in the mirror" becomes constructive and helpful.
The bible is an inextricable component in the lives of those who believe as it shows important lessons and the consequent punishments through the words. What does the bible show us?

First, the bible shows us the path to salvation(Romans 10:17)

1) The bible shows us what faith is(Romans 10:17)
    Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is
    heard through the word about Christ.

a) When we believe in the word, it has the power to change the way we think
        (our paradigms)(Mark 16:16)
“16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not  condemned.

b) We receive the opportunity to self reflect (Acts 2:38)
        Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(Acts 2:38)

c) We can confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God(Mt.16:16)
“Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”(16:16)

d) We can make the all important decision to lay down the life we have been living up to this point.

Second, the Bible shows us the power of love

1.God is love.
“But it was because the LORD loved you and kept the oath he swore to your forefathers that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt.( Deuteronomy 7:8)

“The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.( Jeremiah 31:3)

“"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.(John3:16)

“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(Romans 5:8)

“This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.(1John4:10)

2.Christ’s Love
“"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.(John 15:9)

“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?(Romans 8:35)

“For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.(2Corinth 5:14)

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.(Galatians 2:20)

“and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.(Ephesians 5:2)

“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.(1John 3:16)

Third, The Bible shows us the cost/result of sin.

“ What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”[a](Romans 7:7)

1.The cost/result of murder( 1 John 3:12; Genesis 4:8))
“ Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous. (1 John 3:12)

Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.”[a] While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.(Genesis 4:8)

2.The sins that result in the punishment of death(Romans 1:24-32)
“ Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.(Romans 1:24-32)

3.We see the reason for God's wrath.(Colossians  3:5,6)
“ Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature:sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.[a](Colossians 3:5,6)

4.We see the things that prevent us from inheriting the kingdom of Heaven(Galatians 5:19-21)
“ The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.(Galatians 5:19-21)

5.We see what idols are (Romans 1:25) (Psalm 115:4-8; 135:15-18; Habakkuk 2:18)
“25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.(Romans 1:25)

This is why we must continue to read the bible. So that we will be able to see what is sin and then we can self-reflect and discover if we are transgressing against God. If we say we are children of God and believers, how can we just dwell in sin? And if we are dwelling in sin, how can we be so prideful and so easily judge others? The bible allows us a way to have hope to rise up out of sin and receive salvation and righteousness.

Fourth, the bible shows us a guideline for living a
                Christ like life   (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,17        so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.(2Timothy 3:16,17)

When you read the Word of God every day because that belief becomes faith grows mature personality. The teachings of the Bible and all of the events is to provide a boundary with sound doctrine in our lives.

Fifth, the bible shows us the power of the Gospel

1. The Gospel is God’s power that gives us salvation( Romans 1:16,17)

I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.17For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."(Romans 1:16,17)

2.The Gospel is given through Christ(Eph 1:12,13)
“in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
(Ephesians 1:12,13)

3.The Gospel gives us peace(Ephesians 6:15)
“        and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
Ephesians 6:15)

My loving brothers and sisters,
God the Father has called us through the gospel of Jesus and allowed us to become his children. Thus, we have been given the right to call him, Abba, Father. With the power of the Gospel, go forth to all nations and be victorious. With the Gospel, obtain peace in your hearts by knowing that Jesus Christ, your Lord, loves you tremendously now and forever.

Application

How often do you look in the mirror each day? In the same light, how many times do you look in the bible each day? Do you take as much time to look good to God as you do to look good to other people?
We spend so much time in front of the mirror so that we don't show our physical flaws yet, we constantly miss the spiritual flaws as we don't look in the bible enough.
Know that your body will deteriorate and will not even be anything to brag about in front of God. The only thing that will be seen and acknowledged by God is the beauty of our Spirituality.
Let's make the effort to pay more attention to our Spiritual beauty by looking at the Word in the bible.

Up